zondag 6 november 2011

LiveSTRONG Challenge 2011 part one: before I left


Where to start with the story of this years LIVESTRONG Challenge? As most of you know 2011 hasn’t been my year thus far: I almost lost my leg beginning January, an experience that shook me to the core and made me realize once again how fragile the situation with my leg is. The treatment put all 30 kg back on that I lost with hard work last year. This to the joy and pleasure of some, now former co-workers, who referred to me as “the whale” or “the elephant” behind my back, not realizing these kind of remarks always find their way back to the one they are made about. That hurt me deeply because I knew I was fat again but it was beyond my control. It wasn’t something I was proud of or happy with. The situation at work was difficult for all of us as we faced financial crises that required harsh measures. Luckily I got to keep my job and got a new manager I love working for. During the year I had to learn my injury was not to be compared to a normal sports injury but was of a much more severe nature. It prevented me from getting as much hours in on the bike as I wanted and needed for the ride at the Challenge in October.

One of the worst things, besides the situation with my leg, was the passing of Aïsha Hunkar, a brave single mom who had been fighting cancer for a long time. I promised her and her family right there and then I would ride the Challenge this year with just her name on my back, my way of honoring the amazing person she had been.
My leg problems, the situation at work and the amount of work I did for NL4LiveSTRONG made it hard for me to concentrate on my own Fundraising, although the teamwork is very rewarding and we agreed on a good way of splitting the difference. I just did not have to time to fundraise a lot on my own as well. To top things off, my car broke down and I needed another one. This destroyed my “travel to Austin” fund, as I told you about in another blog. Sold my silver flute and my prize possesion, a jersey signed by Lance Armstrong to get the money. One of my fellow Leaders, Brad, bought the latter as an anniversary gift for his lovely wife Jennifer. he was a lifesafer!!!! To make a long story short,I couldn’t book a flight to the Challenge until the Wednesday prior to its start. That was a very nerve wrecking experience and I do hope I will never have to cut it that close again. It killed me to think I wouldn’t be able to keep my promise to Aïsha.

Knowing I could go I had to make all kind of last minute arrangements: luckily my teammate Karen was going as well and I already told her I was going to share a room and a car with her so that part was taken care of. My friend Sue made sure I would be able to get from her house in CT to Austin and made all the travel arrangements for that. But I still needed a bike!!!! I decided to write an email to Mellow Johnny’s to explain my situation. I got a reply from Todd telling me they where going to do their utmost to help me out! Great people at a great store let me tell you.

So, despite all the odds being stacked against me I left for the US on Monday October 10th!!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten